One of the most popular instant messaging apps is Whatsapp. So many people use this app for socializing and sharing photos, videos, text messages. The ability to have one phone with multiple WhatsApp accounts for family members or friends has been a hot topic around the world. In this article, I will talk about two WhatsApp accounts in one phone and how to do it whether you own a Smartphone or Android tablet.
To be able to run two WhatsApp accounts on one phone, you need to have two Facebook accounts. Whatsapp cannot run on the same mobile device unless they are linked with separate Facebook accounts. So if you already have an existing Whatsapp account associated with your Facebook account, you will need to create another Facebook account. To sign up for a new Facebook account, follow these easy steps.
- On your Android device, go to the Play Store and search for ‘Facebook’.
- Install the app by tapping on it when it appears in the result list. Once installed, tap open the app and enter your details such as your first and last name, email address and password.
- After entering the details, tap on ‘Create Account’.
- On the next screen, check on facebook page for future updates and then tap on ‘Finish’ to complete step 1.
- To login to your new Facebook account, go back to the Play Store and search for ‘Facebook’ again.
- You will be prompted to choose between your existing Facebook account and the new Facebook account you just created. Choose the one associated with your second Whatsapp Account and sign in using your login details. You can also check on the Facebook page for future updates when you are prompted to log in, tap on ‘Not Now’.
Since there is a limit on the number of accounts you can add to your android device, we need to create the account and start Whatsapp manually by following these steps:
- From any screen, tap on Menu and scroll down until you see ‘Settings’. Tap on it.
- Scroll down until you find an option that says ‘Accounts’ and tap on it.
- Tap on ‘Add Account’ in the next screen.
- In the following screen, you will be prompted to add a phone number or email address associated with your second WhatsApp account. Enter a different phone number that does not try to start two Whatsapp accounts in one device. You can also add a different email address for this account.
- Tap on ‘Next’ to continue.
- You will be prompted to add your name, add your contact number and enter details about yourself in the next screen. After that, tap on ‘Save’ to complete step 2.
Now, Whatsapp will start automatically when you switch on your phone and you will be able to start using your second Whatsapp account. If it fails, try starting the app manually by tapping on Menu > Apps > WhatsApp (second account) or going to the Play Store to check for updates.
Do I have to install Whatsapp twice on the same phone?
Yes, you have to install it twice because each account can only be associated with one phone number.
How many WhatsApp accounts are allowed on a single device?
Whatsapp currently allows up to five different accounts per android device. The ability to add accounts is available on devices running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and higher.
Can I use the same phone number for both WhatsApp accounts?
No, you can’t use the same phone number because Whatsapp uses your phone number as an identifier when signing in. So let’s say you have logged in with one account already, you will not be able to switch to the other account. If you want to use different phone numbers for both accounts, you’ll need two different android devices.
Can I log into both WhatsApp accounts with the same email address?
Yes, but this is strongly discouraged because there are very high chances that Whatsapp might block your accounts in the future because it is a violation of their terms and conditions.
Can a single android device run two Whatsapp accounts?
Yes, but only if you follow the instructions here on this page under “How To Use 2 Whatsapp Accounts On A Single Android Device”. If you don’t follow the instructions exactly as they are, you’ll end up with two Whatsapp accounts installed on the same device and both of them will be unusable.
Will I lose my existing WhatsApp account if I follow these instructions?
No, you won’t lose your existing WhatsApp account unless you switch to the new Whatsapp account without deactivating the other account. Deactivating your existing Whatsapp account will remove all the data associated with that account from your device and you can use it again when you log in using a different number.
Is there a limit on the number of WhatsApp accounts I can add to my phone?
Yes, at this moment there is a limit of up to 5 WhatsApp accounts per phone number and it means you can use five different numbers with Whatsapp on a single device.